1. “Although there is a sense in which the camera does indeed capture reality, not just interpret it, photographs are as much an interpretation of the world as paintings and drqsings are. ” (120 people highlighted) 「写真は絵画やデッサンと同じように世界についてのひとつの解釈なのである。」
2. “Time eventually positions most photographs, even the most amateurish, at the level of art. ”
3. “Recently, photography has become almost as widely practiced an amusement as sex and dancing – which means that, like every mass art form, photography is not practiced by most people as an art. It is mainly a social rite, a defense against anxiety, and a tool of power.”
4. “Photographed images do not seem to be statements about the world so much as pieces of it, miniatures of reality that anyone can make or acquire. ”
5. “To photograph people is to violate them, by seeing them as they never see themselves, by having knowledge of them they can never have; it turns people into objects that can be symbolically possessed. Just as the camera is a sublimation of the gun, to photograph someone is a sublimated murder – a soft murder, appropriate to a sad frightened time.” -------------------- 撮影することは「ソフトな殺人なのである。」
*1 These five sentences are most highlighted on Kindle book. Kindle has a function called Popular Highlight, which we can know the highlighted sentences by other readers.